For developing any web application, the first thing to consider is technology. Here in this blog, we will help you to choose the right technology for your business application. To decide technology is one of the challenging tasks for startups due to limited budget and lack of market experience. The wrong technology selection is one of the biggest reason for project failure. So here are some of the criteria to choose the appropriate technology for your web application development.
There are two sides of the web development. One is client side means front-end and other is server side means backend.
Whatever user sees on the screen on the browser comes through the Client side programming.
Here are the majority stack components
Hypertext Markup Language (HTML) and Cascading Style Sheets (CSS). HTML orders browser to display the content and CSS gives style to that content through bootstrap management.
Few examples of libraries are jQuery, React.js, and Zepto.js. Frameworks are Angular, Vue, Backbone, and Ember.
This component is invisible to the client but it powers the client side. The whole web application is reliable on the technology you choose for the server side programming.
1) Programming Languages and Frameworks
The programming language is used to create the logic of web application development. Nowadays frameworks are available to help programmers to do coding fast.
- Ruby (Ruby on Rails)
- Python (Flask, Django, Pyramid, TurboGears, Bottle)
- PHP (Laravel, Symfony, CodeIgniter, Yii, Zend)
- Java (Struts, Spring, Tapestry, Hibernate
When it comes to storing your data, the application needs the database. There are two types of Database relational and non-relational.
Most common databases are:
Memcached and Redis are caching system which is used to reduce the load on the database and handle the traffic.
To handle request from the client application needs Server.
- Widely used servers are
To develop a perfect web application, you need to select right server, database, the programming language with the framework and front-end tools.
Wrong Ways to Choose Technologies for Web Application Development
- Competitors’ Experience
Learning from the competitors is the best thing but not in every situation. Your project is unique and to beat your rival you something extraordinary. So you need to optimize that the technologies you are going to select are best for your project?
- Personal Preference
This might be the pitfall. If you do not have enough knowledge about the technologies than this option is not reliable.
- Past Projects
Each project goal varies. Whatever technology you used in past project might be outdated now.
- Online Research
Choosing a technology is all about the practical experience. Just from reading tutorials, surveys, and comparison, you can not select technologies.
Tips for Choosing the Technologies
In terms of complexity, Let’s divide each web application into 3 types.
- Simple: Application which can be created with the out-of-the-box solutions like landing pages and online stores.
- Mid-Level: The applications with more functionality can be created with frameworks like E-commerce applications and enterprise applications.
- Complex: The web applications which require more functionality and integrations can be created with several programming languages like social networks and E-commerce marketplace.
# Time to Market
To stay ahead in competition you have to develop application fast. The less time to develop the application, cheaper the development cost.
TTM is depended on Technology stack you are using. Some of the issues when choosing the right stack.
- Out-of-the-box solutions: To reduce the TTM, check the selected technologies provides any inbuilt functions which can speed up your code.
- 3rd Party Integrations: Make sure that choose technology supports third-party integration so whenever in future if you need you can do it.
- Availability of Developers: After choosing the technology stack you have to find out the experience developers in those technologies for developing as well as maintaining it.
- Documentation and Community: Technologies you have selected should have better documentation and large community support so whenever critical issues arise in the coding developer can take help.
- Easy to Test: Bugs are natural when creating the complex web application. Removing all bugs is the time-consuming process. Choose the technology which is easy to test. Some technologies have test driven development approach in which testing comes first than coding. Which helps in developing the application fast.
The choice of the technology has the direct impact on development cost. The salaries of the developers depend on the skills of technology in which they work. More advanced technology developers ask for high salaries. Another cost is the maintenance cost. To reduce the application maintenance cost you should use open source technologies which can be upgraded any time without restrictions.
Security is the major concern in web application development. Because this application will have the most critical data like, leads, customer information, business processes, your sales, and marketing strategies which can be stolen by your competitor or any criminal. Make sure that chosen technology meets the security guidelines or not.
There are two types of Scalability Horizontal and Vertical.
- Horizontal scalability: It means the ability to handle the requests. If the number of users increases the application can handle them without performance degradation.
- Vertical scalability: Means whenever you integrate something new performance should not be damaged.
Have a look of Technology Stack of Big Brands
Kanhasoft – A team of professional web application developers can help you to choose the right technologies for delivering a top-notch web application with all the functionality you need. If you are ready with the idea of the application, Contact us today to make it live.